Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pre-Coffee Wake-up Call

Red Shouldered Hawk
Okay, now that I have had my bowl of oatmeal, slice of sourdough bread toast, and hot cup of coffee I can tell you about the bird of prey that got me out of bed this morning. A Red Shouldered Hawk, my imagination holds he/she was the same hawk that visited me during my sit for the GBBC. This, plus my curiosity about animal personality has driven me to begin a new quest in birding, to become a better aural observer.

How about a few fun facts? Red Shouldered Hawks will both fight against Crows for food, as well as team up with Crows to fight. They'll often join forces against competing birds of prey, such as the Great Horned Owl.

Red Shouldered Hawks eat small mammals. They hunt from the air, as well as by pursuing mammals on talon - hopping along the ground, often right into a mammal's burrow. To hear the call of a Red Shouldered Hawk: Click here

1 comment:

  1. We've had Red-shouldered Hawks in our back woods for a few years now. Recently, this year's nestlings made a racket for about a week. I think their parents were forcing them to Get Out of Bed For Heavens Sakes or some such. I love the idea of Coffee Break Birding. Cheers.
    Patty
    (I've got a series of 420 Character, 9-Liners on our blog that juxtaposes birds and just about everything else. Check it out at wordswewomenwrite.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete