Tuesday, February 28, 2012

3 Red Tailed Hawks, no less!

Today, I watched three Red Tails playing, low to the ground on an updraft, as I drove the canyon near the Cleveland National Forest. I didn't pull over. I should have. 

Rolled through Tucker for a chill-out drive. Saw a gorgeous, healthy looking Western Scrub Jay. Didn't take a walk, just drove through. I didn't have the right shoes. That was my excuse. I should have gotten out and sat in the watching station.  Soon :) 

Being a substitute teacher (or as I introduce myself, a Guest Teacher) has its advantages. Today, I used the last 10 minutes of each period to engage students in a discussion. I asked the kids; "Thumbs-up means yes. Thumbs down means no. (thank you ITO) Are humans born scientists?" So many had their thumbs down and were curious when I said I agreed with the students that showed a thumbs-up. They were so curious and (for heavens sake!) relieved to know that each of them was born a scientist. Then ALL, proceeded to share with me, and each other, why and how they were scientists. It was beautiful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment